Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Gig flyers torn down by Fresno City Code Enforcement
I was at Livingstones yesterday afternoon and saw a guy methodically taking down gig flyers from the telephone poles at the Ban of America, Livingstones and the Starline. At first I thought it was a bank employee or some disgruntled wingnut but when I asked hin what he was doing I noticed he had on a City of Fresno jacket that said Code Enforcement. He said he was there because it's against the law to hang up these flyers.

I asked him what about the bulletin board at the old Archer's Music just down the block and he said he was going to have to give them another $200 ticket for not removing the flyers from their property. What about the kiosk on the corner of Olive and Wishon I asked. He said that was ok because it was designated for such flyering.

I think someone had to call Code Enforcement to get them to send someone down to tear down the few flyers he actually got to. He couldn't begin to take down all the flyers as some are glued on, taped on or out of reach, etc. If he comes back every day for the next year there will be more flyers hung up. A city who claims to be local musician-friendly and yet takes down our flyers directly in front of the venue is highly conflicted.

No comments: