Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Ballad of Ramblin Jack video documentary

I knew absolutely nothing about this guy. It was a big empty hole in my record collection. About 5 minutes into the Ballad of Ramblin Jack I was turned off by his simple playing and seemingly phoney personna.

But, by the time the credits were rolling, and we had gone from the early 50's to the double naughts and I had this need to stay there and continue to be fascinated by this flaky traveling minstrel. It didn't do a thing to change my lack of interest in 'cowboy music' but it did put me firmly in the camp of fans of his blazingly colorful story. A
long life full of contradictions. Cliche and yet unique.

We laughed to the point of tears at some of his comments on stage and his off the wall adventures at odd times in his life. Film, video and stills document every move from birth to today and they fill this loving, yet honest look by his daughter.

I thought I knew what 'flat-picking' was, but I didn't. And now I must learn this technique that he was known for.

He's still gigging at nearly 80 years old and has a show coming up next month in San Francisco. http://ramblinjack.com/home

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Ballad_of_Ramblin_Jack/60001826?trkid=226870

No comments: